Beef Stroganoff is originally a Russian dish
Stroganoff consists of sautéed pieces of beef served in a sauce with sour cream. From its origins in 19th-century Russia, it has become very popular around the world, especially in North America. This version of Cube Steak Stroganoff is super simple to make and delicious using lean cube steaks for the recipe. It only takes about a half hour to make and is very filling. Rice or egg noodles can be used as the bed.
If you love Stroganoff, you will love Cube Steak Stroganoff. The steak is lean and high in protein and goes well with this thick style sauce.
- 6 cube steaks cut into cubes
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbs oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream, low fat is good
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp tarragon spice
- Heat 1 tbs cooking oil over medium high heat in a pan. Set cubes of steak in skillet and brown each side. Sprinkle a pinch of salt, pepper and garlic on both sides of steaks while in skillet. Remove and set aside browned meat. Heat remaining 2 tbs of cooking oil and add chopped mushrooms and onions. After a few minutes add chicken or beef broth and bring liquid to a boil. Lower heat to allow liquid to evaporate and reduce, then remove pan from stove. Add in and stir sour cream, Dijon mustard, and tarragon spice. Add the browned cube steak chunks while sprinkling salt and pepper to taste. Place pan back on heat and warm entire mixture.
- Place steak and sauce over steamed rice or egg noodles for a filling and delicious meal!
Cube Steak Stroganoff is a great stand alone dish, but is always good with a vegetable like green beans, brussels sprouts or a salad.